Monday, January 28, 2013

Getting Started

Winter is for dreaming and planning if your a gardener. I am and boy is my mind working overtime! I have so many ideas that I want to share with my neighbors and community and a deep need to feel connected. Hence this blog site.

I don't know how I am going to do it, but I want to start a network of volunteers that will promote sustainable urban gardens while actually ending hunger in our community. That all. Simple. But how to get started.

Ending hunger is easy - here's how - with the concept of Planned Abundance. When you plant your garden this year plan on planting a little extra to donate to the Food Shelf or share with another community organization. Don't just put extras on your neighbors door step and run! When the harvest starts coming in also think of sharing not just raw produce like apples, but perhaps canned applesauce or dried apples slices.

But we can do more. Instead of just giving food to the food shelf, lets help people grow their own food. Everybody can grow some amount of food even if they have no yard at all. Corn, beans and fruit can be grown on a balcony in pots. Apartment building residents can plant a community garden. Townspeople can plant a city garden. This will also have the benefit of community building where we can get ongoing support, share ideas and literally join hands to becoming more self reliant.



No comments: